The 14th Holy Synod of the pontificate of His Holiness Mar Dinkha IV, Catholicos-Patriarch of the Assyrian Church of the East, was convened in Chicago from Friday, May 25th to Friday, June 1st 2012. The prelates meeting in Synod, presided over by His Holiness the Patriarch, were:
- His Beatitude Mar Aprem, Metropolitan of All India;
- His Beatitude Mar Gewargis Sliwa, Metropolitan of Iraq and Russia
- His Beatitude Mar Meelis Zaia, Metropolitan of Australia, New Zealand and Lebanon;
- His Grace Mar Yosip Sargis, Bishop of Baghdad;
- His Grace Mar Aprim Khamis, Bishop of Western USA;
- His Grace Mar Emmanuel Joseph, Bishop of Canada;
- His Grace Mar Odisho Oraham, Bishop of Europe;
- His Grace Mar Awa Royel, Bishop of California and Secretary of the Holy Synod;
- His Grace Mar Youhannan Joseph, Bishop of India;
- His Grace Mar Awgin Kuriakose, Bishop of India;
- His Grace Mar Narsai Benyamin, Bishop of Iran;
- His Grace Mar Paulus Benjamin, Bishop of Eastern USA.
His Grace Mar Aprim Athneil, Bishop of Syria was prevented from attending due to the present political situation in Syria, and His Grace Mar Iskhaq Yousif, Bishop of Nuhadra and Russia was not able to obtain a travel visa to the US.
First, the Holy Synod prayed for the betterment of the present dire political turmoil in Syria, noting the number of Christians and members of the Assyrian Church of the East living in that country, and it prays for peace and stability in that country. The prelates also pray for the progress of Iraq in its journey towards democracy, religious freedom and security for all its citizens, irrespective of color or creed. The concerns of the faithful of the Assyrian Church of the East in Iraq, and in the Middle East at large, as well as the welfare and concerns of the Christians in general were discussed by the Holy Synod. The Holy Synod deliberated on a number of issues concerning the Church on a world-wide level in the areas of liturgy, canon law, moral theology, seminaries and clergy training institutions, as well as numerous pastoral issues which the clergy are facing on a daily basis. The decisions of the Holy Synod have only been circulated internally to all the prelates of our holy Church.