The Assyrian Church of the East’s St Hurmizd’s Cathedral in Greenfield Park was the site of a major milestone for the Assyrian community and the Archdiocese on Sunday 26 May 2019.
Prelates of the Holy Apostolic Catholic Assyrian Church of the East gathered to consecrate Reverend Archdeacon Narsai Youkhanis, the bishop-elect for the Church’s diocese of Western Europe to be based in London.
The Patriarch of the Assyrian Church of the East in Iraq, His Holiness Mar Gewargis III Sliwa was joined by eight other prelates from across the world for the consecration.
Thousands of parishioners and members of local council and parliament attended the official service in the morning.
The church held a celebratory dinner at Edessa Reception in the evening for the newly consecrated bishop, who will be known as His Grace Mar Awraham Youkhanis.
The new bishop, who has been a priest for nine years doing youth work in the local community, will make his way to London in late June to start his work in the church for the Western Europe diocese.
The prelates present for the consecration were:
- His Eminence Mar Meelis Zaia AM, Metropolitan of Australia, New Zealand and Lebanon.
- His Grace Mar Awa Royel, Bishop of California.
- His Grace Mar Youkhanan Yousip, Bishop of India.
- His Grace Mar Awgin Kuriakose, Bishop of India.
- His Grace Mar Narsai Benjamin, Bishop of Iran.
- His Grace Mar Paulus Benjamin, Bishop of Eastern USA.
- His Grace Mar Abrs Youkhanan, Bishop of Erbil and Patriarchal Vicar.
- His Grace Mar Benyamin Elya, Bishop of Victoria and New Zealand.